Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Medical Choice

If there's one thing I stick to now, it's regular doctors visits. Each and every time that visit comes around, which seems like at least a few times a year between physicals and follow ups, my doctor asks "How's mom?" and "Have you asked her to have the genetic blood testing for BRCA yet?"

I have not asked her to have the tests yet because I am not sure I want to know. She usually reminds me that mom's insurance will likely cover it and I have nothing to lose. BUT, don't I? I have maintained that I would not take the radical step of preventative double mastectomy and therefore reasoned that knowing can only add to my worries and stress. She has encouraged me to have mom tested first, since if she isn't a carrier I need not be tested and only if she is a carrier would I need to decide to be tested or not. I have maintained my stay the course and be vigilant with breast exams stand.

Today my dear friend Hanna shared this opinion piece by Angelina Jolie (my all time favorite actress and one of my favorite people in general). It's, good....it's thoughtful and it has me questioning my stand. First, I am not Angelina Jolie and I do not have the luxuries she has...but we are both women with a child or children that are counting on us and a mom who has fought or is fighting to live through cancer.

Life is tough and so is My Medical Choice - which I have realized that I have not yet made.


Click here for Angelina's Article:My Medical Choice

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, I am angry with Ms. Jolie for continuing to promote a culture of fear. However, I read her article that you posted and I can say "Thank you for sharing the reasons for your decision." As for me, I am like you and didn't want to know. My husband felt that either result is good because then we would could make an informed decision. I guess he is the Angelina Jolie to my Kensington Mom.

    ReplyDelete